Thanks to Dr. Bob Hanson and Dr. Angel Herráez for their very helpful advice
about this.

The problem was that, on a page displaying MOs for teaching purposes, I was
offering both a  translucent orbital
surface, produced using the mo command, and a two-dimensional contour plot on a
plane through the orbital,
produced using the isosurface command.

It was the isosurface command which was taking most of the time.  Thus, for the
pi_nb_in_plane HOMO orbital
(mo 16) of BF3 in
https://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/bruce.tattershall/teaching/maingrps/bf3mo/bf3.php
Chrome using the HMTL5.0 JSmol option took 5 seconds to produce the 3D orbital
surface but
16 seconds to produce the 2D line contour plot.  (This speeds up to 3 s and 10
s respectively on the
more powerful PCs our U provides for student class use.)

I took the suggestion of calculating the surface immediately after loading the
model, but waiting for the student
to request the contour plot by clicking a Jmol button.

I also took the suggestion to put in echoes to tell the user what they were
waiting for in each case.

Although the two representations are each calculated in less than 2 seconds
using the Java Jmol option in
Java enhanced IE11, I think that, for students stuck with using a browser
without Java, then a 3 - 5 second
initial wait is tolerable if they are given information about what is
happening.   The original offering of
a 13 - 21 second unexplained wait was putting such students off.

  Bruce

(original post 20 March 2017)