Bob

I have emptied both the Java cache in my PC and the browser cache (IE11 with
java plugin), and get
exactly the same behaviour from the Jmol_S applet.   I get the same error
message if I try
label %[cipRule]
and no labels are produced.    Normal default atom labelling works as usual, so
the error seems to be in the
chirality stuff.

If I use the JSmol applet, I get a different behaviour in IE11.   I get a
message box saying
RangeError: Argument list too large to apply
This message comes up twice.   After OKing it for the second time, the
chirality labels appear only on the
rule 1a atoms.

A following
label %[cipRule]
command then works straightaway, but still labels only the rule 1a atoms.

If, after refresh, I give the two commands in the opposite order, I still get
the two error messages on the
first command, and no error messages on the second.   The labelling each does
is the same for each,
whatever the order.

JSmol in Firefox in the PC gives a bit more explicit error message:
RangeError:  arguments array passed to Function.prototype.apply is too large
Otherwise its behaviour is the same as in IE11.

Jmol_S in Firefox with Java plugin fails in the same way as IE11 with Java,
either using
Firefox in the PC or Firefox in Linux.

JSMol in Firefox in Linux works fine, as does JSMol in Chrome in the PC.
I guess that you may have used one of these for your tests.

As for Jmol.jar as an application in Linux, I was able to get some more
information from the
Java Jmol Console.
It seems to show that the cache had been emptied, twice, and that loading of
the model was normal.
When I gave the
label %[chirality]
command, the Java Jmol Console then showed a considerably more explicit error
message series, which
I send as a DOS text attachment.
As I said yesterday, no labels were produced.

    Bruce