> snprintf has been available for all officially and unofficially supported
> compilers for Windows, Visual Studio since version 2015 and gcc since, well,
> forever. snprintf is conforming to C99 since the start when compiling using
> gcc, and 2015 when using Visual Studio. Since it conforms to C99 and provides
> better semantics than _snprintf, and is not compiler specific, we should use
> it in most places where we currently use _snprintf. This makes JDK code where
> this is used more robust due to the null terminating guarantee of snprintf.
> Since most of the changes are extremely simple, I've included all of them
> hoping to get this all done in one shot. The only places _snprintf is not
> replaced is places where I'm not sure whether the code is ours or not (As in,
> imported source code for external libraries). Note that the existing checks
> in place for the size of the characters written still work, as the return
> value of snprintf works mostly the same as _snprintf. The only difference is
> the nul
 l terminating character at the end and the returning of the number of written
characters if the buffer was terminated early, as seen here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/reference/snprintf-snprintf-snprintf-l-snwprintf-snwprintf-l?view=msvc-170

> Reviews Required: 2 for HotSpot, jdk.hotspot.agent, and jdk.jdwp.agent, 1 for
> awt and jdk.accessibility, 1 for java.base, 1 for security, 1 for
> jdk.management(?)

Julian Waters has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
commit since the last revision:

  USe os::snprintf in HotSpot

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/20153/files