I was the late arrival and the one to leave early.  I
missed the Friday festivities and some of Saturday as
well.

First thing that happened was, I got to the airport
late and was standing in the wrong queue - almost
ended up on a flight to Tokyo, but that an airport
worker must have noticed I kind of *stood out* from
everyone else, as I was the only non-Japanese person
in the queue (I didn't even notice), and asked me if I
was in the group going back to Tokyo.  Well, much as I
would love to visit Tokyo, it would have to wait until
later.  Stood next in another queue, a very long one,
thinking, if this thing doesn't hurry up, I'm going to
miss my plane.  Panic attack starts to set in.  A
woman from the airport comes along asking if anyone in
the lineup is for the 8:45 flight to wherever.  I pipe
up saying, I'm on the 8:25 to Boston.  She shrieks,
"What?" and pulls me out of the line, gets on her cell
phone calling here and there and walks (more like
runs) me through the crowd, where I have to check the
guitar, then race after her (carrying all my stuff),
rushes me through Customs where the US customs guy
asks me a lot of strange questions, such as, "Are you
going to the US for business or personal reasons?" and
I say, "Personal, I'm going to visit friends down near
Boston."  He sees in my hand a binder I had made up of
maps and my itinerary and says, "That looks like
business." and he takes it and starts looking through
it and asking me, "What is this?" and I say, "These
are the maps and information I printed out so I'd know
how to get here and there."  He flips to the music I
had at the back and asks me what that's all about and
I tell him, "It's a music festival of sorts.  Everyone
gets together and plays and sings and performs".  He
seems to think this is pretty strange, so he asks me,
"Are you getting paid for this?" and I answer very
plainly, "No," when what I really want to say is,
"Buddy, if you heard me sing and play, you certainly
wouldn't be asking me that one!" But you can't argue
or joke with customs and immigration types and
besides, panic mode was setting in and I was trying
just to breathe normally.

He finally lets me through, and then I have to dash
down the ramp, up into the plane and to my seat.
Despite all this, there are other people who calmly
walk onto the plane AFTER me.  However, I guess the
thing I missed is, you're supposed to be at the
airport TWO hours early, not one, and these people had
probably checked in, then gone off for a drink or
breakfast or something.

About two minutes after I get my gear stowed under the
seat (I never use the overhead things if I can help
it), the pilot comes on and announces that he has some
bad news for us and maybe the day isn't starting off
so well - we have mechanical problems that create a
"No-go" situation, therefore we have to get OFF the
plane and they're going to find us another one.  a)
why they couldn't have figured this out sooner, is
beyond me (OK, maybe they were trying to fix it all
along, but discovered it was going to take longer than
first anticipated) and b) All this running was for
naught (although I DO appreciate the Air Canada rep's
valiant work to get me on the plane and wish I had
gotten her name, so I could thank her and let her boss
know).

So, we're off the plane, sitting around in the airport
lounge.  About half-an-hour later comes an
announcement saying there was a flight coming in soon
from Philadelphia, which they would groom and cater
and put us on.  The flight from Philly is a bit late
and the grooming and so on takes a bit longer than
anticipated, I suppose, so the flight I should have
gotten on leaves at 10:00 a.m. rather than 8:25, but
the flight itself is smooth and great, and we land at
Logan at 11:30 or so.  All through the flight, lines
from Joni and other songs, travel-related, pop into my
head, among them:

(Shouldn't have got on) This flight tonight (this
morning).

I'm travelling in some vehicle... I took a plane to a
taxi, then a taxi to a plane...

Up there's a heaven, down there's a town...

Miles from my home (Cowboy Junkies, not Joni)

When I land, my guitar is one of the first things off
the baggage carousel (she takes her baggage off the
carousel), and I think, "This is a good sign," then I
ask the info guy how I get to the rental car places.
There are these shuttle buses that each of the rental
car places have that come in regularly and you just
hop on the one of your choice (whichever company
you've booked with), and they drive you to a place a
ways off from the airport.  (She takes a taxi
(shuttle) to the town (rent-a-car place).

So I collect my car and head off for Danvers, home of
the Days Inn.  I find Danvers easily and as I'm
driving, I spot every single friggin' hotel/motel that
Ashara had included in her list, but the Days Inn?
Just where the heck is that???  I think I ended up in
Salem, so I stopped at a convenience store where I
asked the guy at the cash if he knew how to get to the
Days Inn on Endicott Street.  There was a woman with a
little kid just coming up to the cash, and she told me
how to get there.  All I had to do was go straight
along here, turn right, drive a mile or so, turn left,
then go straight until I came to Petco, then take a
sharp left there, followed by a right and voila.

(Let me tell you here that the people of Boston and
New England that I met are the friendliest, most
helpful people I think I've ever met, unless I'm just
plain lucky or maybe looked so confused that they took
pity on me.  And remember now about Petco because it
comes up later in the story.)

I followed her EXCELLENT directions and landed at my
hotel.  By this time, it was probably around 1:30 or
so.  I checked into the motel, got my gear stowed,
washed my face, drank a LOT of water, and set off for
Newburyport.

Newburyport and the Belleville Church were both very
easy to find (thanks to Ashara's excellent directions
and the fact that the church is on a main drag, and as
soon as I came towards it and saw all the cars parked
around it and the people who were coming in and out, I
thought, "these couldn't be anything but jmdlers" -
you can just tell.

I'm going to end this one here, because it's getting
kind of long...

To be continued...