Garret, I will try to tell you about the American government and try to not
be too detailed.  Mayors preside over cities or towns and usually work in
conjunction with city councils.  Governors preside over their particular
state and have legislative branches in each state that they work with.  Of
course, the mayors and each city are under the auspices of the governors and
the state governments.  Even so, each city has a certain amount of autonomy
as does each state.  All states are under the auspices of the federal
government.  The federal government is divided into three parts, the
judicial, the executive, and the legislative.  The judicial is the court
system and there are many courts; city courts, regional courts, state
courts, federal courts and the highest is the Supreme Court.  The executive
is the area of the president.  The legislative is the House of
Representative and the Senate.  All three branches work together and have
different powers and do different things.  Gets pretty complicated but that
is it in a nutshell.  All of these representatives of both houses are
elected officials and may serve for their entire lifetimes if they keep
getting elected.  The President is of course also elected but can only serve
two terms, maximum.  Federal judges are appointed as are the judges on the
supreme court and are in their positions for their lifetimes, if they
choose.
  The FBI and the CIA are governmental agencies that have the jobs of
surveillance and that kind of thing.  Subversive kinds of activities.  Hope
that helped.  Mack

and i may have got some of that messed up but somebody will help, I am sure.