  -----Original Message-----
  From: shane mattison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
  Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 8:02 PM
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; Kakki; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Kate
Bennett; Catherine Udall Turley; Sue Cameron
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Subject: peoples parties (sjc)

  oh...
  i've had subscriber shiftings, from 'heavy volume' to mistaken 'joni only'
  (for me that is), to now i hope 'joni digest...'
  i could lurk...(or maybe i couldn't!)
  what a broad, broad panoply of humanity here...feelings...
  the difficulty of written emails only, in sensing where someone is coming
from...
  kay, i was truly moved by your post and i have saved it...it will not be
forgotten...
  (can we share it with others?)
  and marian, have you played so much joni that i imagine you
  being like her for some reason...a creative mother for us?
  and i haven't been round long enough to understand the rift,
  but sense its mendable...and i extend my own olive branch to people...
  forgive me when i come across too strongly...
  a defensive beginning did i have, sue cameron? i'd like to know you better
  and appreciate you ...
  and randy remote, i miss hearing from you...
  did i joke innappropriately and hurt your feelings?
  i realised later, this could have been an unintended effect of my poor
taste humour...
  and catherine, did i get testy? lately we've enjoyed one another's posts!
  did i get a little too crusading myself with you chris? or colin?
  if the answer to these questions is yes in your eyes, then i am sorry...

  i didn't mean to hurt you
  i'm sorry that i made you cry
  i didn't want to hurt you
  i'm just a jealous guy...
                                          (john lennon)

  or peter saying to his Master, when he was called to see Matthew with new
eyes,
   "Lord, I'm just a stupid....man..."

     Janene, i'm so sorry to hear of your cousin...
  one of my best friends is a calgary firefighter, who two weeks ago oversaw
  the lake search for a drowned boy in a storm, and who last year had to
deal
  with dead bodies from a cyclone...
    and ashara, your friend' s son-in-law, how can i ever know what happened
  compared to those who lost loved ones or went through it...
  can i pontificate like a stanford polisci major? i trow not!
    and patrick leader, your moving personal experience...so well written,
so moving...
   and you're most welcome sherelle and kakki if something i said was
worthwhile to you...
    and deb shea, i'm so thankful you're safe...i was moved by what you said
of your close experience...
  you sound like someone like a flower who no one should upset ...i hope you
feel better real soon...
    and sharon, your journalist quote is good and true...
  and i know america herself is unbelievably strong ...
    and victor, your "angel in manhattan" was of such quality,
  such prescience as to be a guiding light for the hour...
  and you new jmdlers! so many new voices...welcome...
  call us to our higher and better selves!
    and so we are, perhaps, called to listen before we speak...
  behind the anonymity of computers we can sail off words far too fast...are
we listening?
  and there are those others of you, so many, i haven't mentioned...i need
to listen to you more...
   Bob...we have more than a little in common! "hejira" is my all time
favourite joni song too...
  i admit it, but you were first...
    yes, forgive me those of you i should listen to more deeply, and respond
more humanly...
  i wish i had seen you all at jonifest, including les, through whom this
wonderful association
  all started...you all have so much to teach me...
     for benedict and the monastic tradition, listening is the very sine qua
non of real spirituality,
  and this is shared with many buddhist monks, and sufi mystics...
    obviously there is a way for us beyond the mere talkers like robertson
and falwell...
   did you all see the national service today? i was moved so much...to
tears...
  good old billy, we'll miss him when he departs...
  and they sang Battle Hymn of the Republic for a stirring finale...
  and a few mentioned our own faults....if we could only start with
ourselves , eh?
    and perhaps we might all pray for marcel...shall we all say a prayer for
him?
  (and i do not excuse wrong actions here)...literally, this weekend...and
mean it?
  ...exile is tough...i've known it...all of a sudden you're on alcatraz!
(sounds like a joni line!)
  ...(maybe he'll change? ...though i believe you did right les...)
  there was a man kicked out by paul the apostle...then, after his
heartbreak and change
  he could then be welcomed ...(who knows? at least we could say "Peace go
with you, from us"...
  ...this would be like sweetgrass for us, or the peacepipe ceremony...)
  and michael, may morning come to morgantown real quick so we may hear from
you again...
  and kate, thankyou for your maturity and wise words of counsel...
  and catherine udall turley we need yours too, and although i know you're
job searching,
  you have poise...and we need it...
    can't you just hear joni saying, at the isle of wight, or any
innumerable places
  (circa 1968-71 or thereabouts.)...please my friends, let's love one
another...
  let's start right here, right now...
  loves' real...peace is real,
  just believe it in your heart