I just went out to the local gas station to pick up a pack of cigarettes
(unfortunately, I am smoking incessantly these days but not quite up to Joni
volume).  As I was there two men in official Army camo uniforms pulled up in
a private vehicle to pick up some smokes themselves.  I tried to convey my
love and appreciation to them in that small moment.

Regarding the backlash towards Muslims and Arabs in  the U.S. now.  I really
did not think people could be so cruel but incidents have happened - even
here in L.A. where I thought we were more sensitive.  There is a secretary
in my office who is a converted Muslim.  She has always worn a certain kind
of garment to work that looks pretty much like a nun's habit.  On Wednesday
morning when we returned to work, she was in Western clothing.

Last Friday night I heard many loud sirens going with several fire trucks
and police cars speeding down my street.  A bit later, I had to go out and
found a large section of a main street blockaded and surrounded by the
police cars and fire trucks.  I was relived to find out later that it was
just heightened security for the Madonna concert!

One of my co-workers tonight was at Madonna's concert here Thursday night.
The way she described it made several of us choke up.  Madonna had tears
throughout and did everything she could to promote healing and unity among
the crowd.  She is giving the proceeds of these concerts to the orphans in
New York.

Kakki