Something interesting I received which gives pause:

Afghani Women's Movement statement.
URL  http://www.rawa.org ;

The people of Afghanistan have nothing to do with Osama and his
accomplices

On September 11, 2001 the world was stunned with the horrific
terrorist attacks on the United States. RAWA stands with the rest of
the world in expressing our sorrow and condemnation for this barbaric
act of violence and terror. RAWA had already warned that the United
States should not support the most treacherous, most criminal, most
anti-democracy and anti-women Islamic fundamentalist parties because
after both the Jehadi and the Taliban have committed every possible
type of heinous crimes against our people, they would feel no shame
in committing such crimes against the American people whom they
consider "infidel". In order to gain and maintain their power, these
barbaric criminals are ready to turn easily to any criminal force.

But unfortunately we must say that it was the government of the
United States who supported Pakistani dictator Gen. Zia-ul Haq in
creating thousands of religious schools from which the germs of
Taliban emerged. In the similar way, as is clear to all, Osama Bin
Laden has been the blue-eyed boy of CIA. But what is more painful is
that American politicians have not drawn a lesson from their
pro-fundamentalist policies in our country and are still supporting
this or that fundamentalist band or leader. In our opinion any kind
of support to the fundamentalist Taliban and Jehadies is actually
trampling democratic, women's rights and human rights values.
If it is established that the suspects of the terrorist attacks are
outside the US, our constant claim that fundamentalist terrorists
would devour their creators, is proved once more.

The US government should consider the root cause of this terrible
event, which has not been the first and will not be the last one
too. The US should stop supporting Afghan terrorists and their
supporters once and for all.

Now that the Taliban and Osama are the prime suspects by the US
officials after the criminal attacks, will the US subject Afghanistan
to a military attack similar to the one in 1998 and kill thousands of
innocent Afghans for the crimes committed by the Taliban and Osama?
Does the US think that through such attacks, with thousands of
deprived, poor and innocent people of Afghanistan as its victims,
will  be able to wipe out the root-cause of terrorism, or will it
spread  terrorism even to a larger scale?

>From our point of view a vast and indiscriminate military attacks on
a country that has been facing permanent disasters for more than two
decades will not be a matter of pride. We don't think such an attack
would be the expression of the will of the American people.
The US government and people should know that there is a vast
difference between the poor and devastated people of Afghanistan and
the terrorist Jehadi and Taliban criminals.

While we once again announce our solidarity and deep sorrow with the
people of the US, we also believe that attacking Afghanistan and
killing its most ruined and destitute people will not in any way
decrease the grief of the American people. We sincerely hope that the
great American people could DIFFERENTIATE between the people of
Afghanistan and a handful of fundamentalist terrorists. Our hearts go
out to the people of the US.  Down with terrorism!