Hello Jerry and all,

I'm out of lurkdom for the moment to share some thoughts:

What I found very interesting about "Season of Lights" is that when it
was finally released on CD, there was a "regular" version and a
"complete" version released.  At that time I of course thought, "Well
I'll get the "complete" version and have more than what was on the
original vinyl."  Much to my surprise, when I received the "complete"
Japanese version, there were indeed more songs, but I also found that a
few of the songs, i.e, "Timer" were different live versions released on
the Japanese CD, and so some of the original versions from the vinyl
were deleted.

The "regular" or "not complete" CD version was released in extremely
small quantities and I've been searching since its release on CD for the
"not complete" version (Laura fanatic that I am) so that I could snag
those live versions that weren't on the Japanese release.  Finally, I
found one on E-bay, but I can assure you these regular or "not complete"
CDs appear to be extremely rare and hard to come by.  If you love Laura
as I do, I would highly recommend you keep your eye open for this.
"Timer" from the vinyl and "incomplete" version is far superior to the
one they released on the Japanese version.

I know that Joni respected Laura very much, that's incredible to know
that she was actually in the audience for one of her shows!

By the way, I received through the kindness of Bob M., the "Couriers
Folk Club Appearance" CD by Joni.  I was absolutely stunned when I heard
"The Wizard of Is."  Has anyone else who received this CD noticed how
amazingly close the song is in melody and guitar to Leonard Cohen's
"Suzanne?"  I wonder if the two of them wrote these songs about the same
time, and if they decided together to use a basic melody on purpose?
Maybe one was an answer to the other?  Or who wrote which one first?
After hearing the song, I immediately went to Judy Collins and pulled
her version of "Suzanne" and the guitar riff is amazingly similar.  Any
thoughts? Anyone?  I must confess that with my schedule and the high
emotions of last week, that I haven't listened to it as many times as I
normally would, since I love Joni's rare and unreleased material.

I also want to express my sadness regarding the devastating tragedies of
last week.  I pray for our future and our safety, and for all of those
lost, those who have lost friends and loved ones, and those injured.  It
still is hard for me to think about and grasp, forgive my awkwardness,
but I hope you understand what I am trying to express.  May God
specially bless all of the list members and everyone in the New York
City area.

Best regards,

Gary  (protea man)