Anyone know about this extraordinary person?  A minor but talented and well
regarded jazz musician, arranger and bandleader, when he died in 1989, aged
74, he was discovered to be... a woman!

I'm reading an absolutely superb biography of him by Diane Wood Middlebrook.
Called "Suits Me", it is not only a beautifully written and deeply
sympathetic account of a singular life, but also a piece of vivid social
history.  I commend to all you fine people out there!

Azeem

NP: More from Whistle Test - we just had Bowie doing Five Years (hooray!) and
Kris Kristofferson & Rita Coolidge virtually dry humping at the mic as they
duetted on Help Me Make It Through The Night (not a request likely to fall on
deaf ears judging by their body language), and now it's Rory Gallagher
ripping out some spunky blues.  What a great show - you N American folks
can't pick this up tonight, but that's small recompense for not getting to
see Joni in concert over the last couple of years...