While I wouldn't call it wallowing, exactly, I do feel that reporters are
fighting to find the victims' stories that are the biggest tear-jerkers, and
selling these stories because of their poignancy quotient.  I can completely
understand someone's need to turn away from the TV and news when we are no
longer hearing the news, but an exploitation of the private grief of the
victim's families.  At this point, I'd like to be able to keep up with the
continuing developments without so much peeping. We're dealing with carnage
that is beyond comprehension, and, IMHO the telling and retelling of each
individual victim's circumstance is media cannibalism.  Sure, there's enough
"human interest" in all of this for a lifetime of sorrow and fear.  It's
important to grieve, and it's important to recognize that you must move
forward when your grief isn't serving your healing.  I'm numb, and shocked
and saddened, but I'm also now aware of a kind of media preoccupation with
the very horrific details.  Maybe this is what Paul meant by wallowing.
Frankly, I'm a little disturbed at how the camera pulls in for that close-up
of the subject breaking down and then lingers to exploit pain that is too
personal and too important to market as "news."
Ken, heading back to SF