Last Friday some neighbors coaxed my wife and daughter out for the
candlelighting thing (I was at a gig) and one asked my wife why we didn't
have a U.S. flag on our house. When told that we didn't own a flag, she
wanted to give us one but my wife said "no, thanks," for which I am glad. On
hearing this (and at many other moments in the last week), I was reminded of
that great "Seinfeld" episode in which Kramer wants to participate in the
AIDS walk but doesn't want to wear a ribbon; he's soon surrounded by an angry
mob ready to dismantle him, and they call out to the walk leader that Kramer
won't wear a ribbon ... the leader spins on his heels and spits out: "Who?!
Who won't wear the ribbon?!"

I've never liked the song "God Bless America," although I love many of Irving
Berlin's songs like "What'll I Do" and "Let's Face the Music and Dance." If
there is a God, I want God to bless all of humanity, not America. I don't
believe in nations and flags, I believe in humanity ... one world is enough
for all of us. And just because I won't wear the ribbon doesn't mean I don't
grieve just as much for this travesty against humanity as those who do;
however, I grieve equally for the hundreds of thousands of innocent Afghanis
(and probably Iraqis, too, because, let's face it: as long as we're killing
indiscriminately, why not finish the job Daddy started?) who will likely die
soon by our terrible swift sword.

We've learned absolutely nothing from this tragedy.

-Fred Simon