Brenda,

Since some of your other comments seemed aimed at me, let me add a few more:

>Many people are saying that we as a nation
> will never be  the same.  I hope so.  Not that we should >sacrifice
liberty and live in fear, but we should accept >that we are not  immune and
we can no longer pretend >that isolationism in any form works.

Maybe because I'm older than a lot of the crowd here I have a different
perspective.  I cannot recall a time ever in my life or historically since
WWII when America was isolationist.  I'm not trying to argue with you but I
just can't see it.  We've been involved in numerous wars or actions in other
countries almost constantly since that time.  We are no doubt also the most
diplomatic country on earth.  We've been the biggest supporter of the UN
since its inception.

> I hope that we seek to understand more about the >world from which we've
tried to separate ourselves.  >Instead of  being defensive about why other
people in >the world may dislike or despise the U.S., let's seek to
> understand their  position.

In my view of reality, all we have done is tried to understand other people
in the world.  I certainly won't claim we have done a good job of it,
however.

> I am not at all advocating validation of
> the notion that we "deserved" it; I am suggesting that >there may be
legitimate reasons why people (who are >not extremists, radicals or
terrorists) hold disdain for our >country.

And therein lies the supreme irony.  Most hold disdain for us precisely
because of our involvement in their country or other countries.  It's a
total Catch 22 - we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.  Or maybe
they have disdain because they don't like our capitalistic system.  If that
is the case, that is their problem and not something we have to beat
ourselves up about.  They are free to have their own system.  If no one was
capitalistic in this world, where would the money (and what it represents -
hard work, innovation, production) to support people come from?  Human
nature will never evolve to the perfect collective creature who will work
for free and share all they have with everyone.  I am not advocating
isolationism - that is stupid and a totally unrealistic conception.  But can
anyone really chastise anyone for feeling a little weary sometimes about the
abuse that other countries so freely throw on us, especially at a time when
we are down?  Am I suppose to apologize for being upset about that?  I am a
human being, not some programmed robot with no feelings.  Neither I, nor
most of my fellow Americans, nor the people who died in WTC  are personally
responsible for the things other countries blame us for.

>The response seemed to uniformly be that
> the terrorists hate us.  I hope that there are more  >sophisticated
discussions happening in schools.  I think >alot of kids could understand
it, if it is explained to >them.

What would you suggest we tell them as to the reasons why the terrorists
hate us?  I agree that children should not be left with uninformed and
simplistic reasons, but practically how do you download to them in a way
they can understand, complicated socio-political events of the past 50 or so
years?

> I'm very concerned about the ongoing rhetoric in the >media and from
government leaders which places the >focus on  Bin Laden.  We cannot be
lulled into the >notion that this is simply about one man, his capture and
>the shut down of  his network.  This is no longer just >about terrorism,
and never really was.

I agree with you here 100%.

As for war and bombing and destroying other countries, let me tell you that
when I heard the first inklings of this last week I became physically ill
and experienced a feeling inside of me that I have never before in my life
felt.  I can't even describe it.  I also have had nearly constant vertigo
with nausea on a daily basis since this all happened to the point where I
had to go to the hospital one night.  My blood pressure which is usually
100/60 has been shooting up to 150/100 for no known reason.  I absolutely do
NOT want to destroy other countries because of this.  I absolutely do
understand the peril in that.  That is what is so horrendous about all
this - we have to stop it in a way that will not exacerbate it.  It's a
hellish challenge for us.

Kakki