Hi-

I just read Shane's email soon after Brenda's that I responded to, and I
wanted to add...

I don't think there is anything wrong with examining U.S. policy and
behavior. That doesn't imply that I think the U.S. "deserved" this tragedy.
Of course I don't think that! It was horrible, I was horrified and stunned
and affected deeply and I haven't even lost anyone personally. In fact, I
struggle with the fact that I can feel even marginally relieved that none
of my friends were in the WTC or the Pentagon when so many lives have been
lost.

But while this was a terrible occurrence, these attacks, I think that we
have a teachable moment. Wouldn't it be worse to let this time pass and
lose an opportunity for critical reflection? Most American citizens, as
Brenda pointed out, are quite ignorant about foreign issues, US foreign
policy, other parts of the world in general. Isn't this a good opportunity
to wake people to the rest of the world, and a chance to consider our place
in it?

Mourning follows tragedy, and rightfully so. Learning can also follow.

-Yael