I've been giving this consideration all morning.  And here is the short
of it.

I expect them to be interested in education and balance if it is
demanded of them.  I am not a student of journalism  history so I can't
speak on the origins of the "free press" in our country.  There
certainly seemed to be a turning  point with Hearst.

However, many of the media conglomerates are publicly owned.  Take
AOL-Time Warner for example.  If I own one  share of AOL-Time Warner
stock or if I own a single share in a mutual fund which owns AOL-TW
(leaving out for a  moment if I have a right because my taxes inevitably
subsidize their business) I have the right to say something  about their
policies at CNN, Time magazine, or NY1 News.  And perhaps a movement to
change the media would  have to be a grass roots approach, levied by
shareholders.  I don't know that it is likely to happen or yield a
result  but it is at least possible.

I'm just looking for ideas...

Thanks for taking up the debate.

(Check this out for more of who owns what:
http://www.cjr.org/owners/index.asp )

Brenda

n.p.: KCRW - The World

On 21 Sep 2001, at 10:17, Mike Pritchard wrote:

>>What can we do to demand that the media report more responsibly and
work
harder to actually educate the nation about a balanced slate of things
that
matter? (This is not a rhetorical question.)<<

Given that almost since its inception the media has too-frequently been
used
by powerful individuals and powerful corporations to further their own
ends,
why should you expect it/them to be interested in 'education' and
'balance'
now? (This is not a flippant answer).