Day 1 Monday, September 17, 2001. The only way now to get to where I
work is by subway. Normally during the week that's how I'd be getting
there from uptown, arriving at work by 8 a.m. Since most businesses
start at 9 or 9:30, the trains are crowded at 7:30 but there's still
some breathing room, so normally taking the subway is ok. Some days I'd
take a cab, an expensive trip but such a pleasant ride down the FDR
going along the river to lower Manhattan that it's worth the cost. Not
an option today. I'm expected to be there by about 9. I don't want to be
on the subway at the height of the rush hour; 2,000 people on one train
in a crowded tunnel feels like a good target. Now we're targets instead
of just people trying to get to work. After, again, not falling asleep
until almost dawn, and not even hearing my alarm clock, I call in the
morning and tell the manager I'll be in about noon. Turns out that's
fine. Before I'd called I was in a f*ck 'em mood, ready for a fight,
knowing even as I felt that way that the managers where I work are not
the people I'm getting angry at after a week of
barely-being-able-to-move grief.

It was the quietest subway ride I've ever experienced. There were lots
of people on the train, all subdued. Like the quiet streets on my walk
home last Tuesday, such quietness in a subway car is strange too. My
anxiety increased with each stop closer to lower Manhattan. I didn't
want to go there, not after what I'd seen the Tuesday before. 42nd,
14th, Brooklyn Bridge, Fulton (the main stop for the WTC, some people
got out), bypassing the closed Wall Street stop, going slowly past it,
yellow police tape stretched column to column, desolate looking, to
Bowling Green, the last stop in Manhattan. That's where I got out and
went up the escalator. So many people were going the opposite way,
running down the stairs into the station, it crossed my mind that
something else had happened. National guard soldiers and policemen were
at the top of the escalator, looking at us as we got off the escalator.
They didn't look panicked so I continued on to the office. Nothing is as
clearcut as it used to be.

The streets and cars were still covered in ash. A van I passed had its
back windows blown out. Sidewalk coffee vendors were back at work, the
newsstand on the corner was open, the building I work in was completely
undamaged. Before going to my usual floor I went to the lower floor we'd
waited on so I could get my bag back, the one with my books and cd
player and favorite cds in it. I felt so disoriented, and couldn't find
the area we'd been in, and started to panic a little (I'm doing that a
lot nowadays when I can't find something right away; I can't tolerate
the feeling that anything is lost), finally remembered there'd been a
conference room near where we'd waited, so I asked someone at his desk
where that was and he pointed me in the right direction. I found my bag
exactly where I'd left it, untouched. I was so glad of that, like I was
getting a little piece of my life back.

So then on to my regular floor and in the hallway the first person I saw
was the coordinator I'm friendly with. She asked how I was, I started to
tell her, ended up crying, and she just gave me a hug. Everyone was
being told to take it easy; there were no pressing projects to be done,
we each had to ease back into it at our own pace. Very kind I thought,
especially for a high-pressure financial place. There was free food in
the cafeteria, which had been open round the clock for days for anyone
in the area, especially relief workers, who needed food and a place to
rest. I liked hearing the company had done that. It was a day of sharing
stories and trying to concentrate on the project I had, which was almost
impossible. My brain wasn't working and I had to keep rechecking what I
was doing, and redoing. And, as people came in, hearing their stories,
asking and being asked how we all were. The words "it's so good to see
you" were said often and they will never be the lighthearted words they
once were.

Day 2 Tuesday, September 18, 2001. Surprisingly, today was more
difficult. I was on the train early and again everyone was very quiet.
An announcement was made at Brooklyn Bridge that the air on the train
would be cut off while we went under lower Manhattan. It was clear why
once we got to Fulton Street and the subway doors opened. The smell, the
same smell I'd walked through on Tuesday, was strong again. I don't know
why. It was there yesterday also, but not nearly as strong as today.
It's mostly an electrical fire smell, but we all know everything else
we're taking in too with each breath. No one talks about it. I don't
know how the rescue workers can tolerate it, not only physically, but
emotionally. Again the train went slowly past the closed Wall Street
station. It might not ever be opened. I've trudged up those stairs so
many times.

The company had arranged for a ferry from the upper east side of
Manhattan to downtown. I found out about that on Monday and thought that
would be better than traveling by subway. Then I thought about how it
would be possible to see the changed skyline from the ferry and realized
I can't do that yet. Seeing that area as a huge dust cloud last Tuesday
ripped my heart out. It's hard enough seeing it now on tv. I don't want
to see that emptiness yet.

So, on to Bowling Green by subway. Today we couldn't go out our usual
exits. All of us had to go out one exit, up escalators I'd never used
before, and there was a huge crowd of people at the top, a bottleneck
because people then had to go up a staircase to the street and could
only get out of the station one by one through barricades, again past
many policemen. I was one of the last people on one of the two
escalators going up, heading toward this crowd. A man on the escalator
next to me started going oh oh oh and I realized then there wasn't any
room for him or me to get off. Well, that's pretty scary. What do you do
then, when you're stuck on the top step of a moving escalator? As soon
as I got there, which was only seconds after he started saying his
panicked oh oh oh, I put my hands in the lower back of the guy in front
of me, pushed very firmly and said loudly at the same time, "move! we
have to get off the escalator." People moved. No one said a word. Again,
very strange for New York. Then there was just enough room for me and
the person who'd been behind me to get off the escalator, and for the
guy on the next escalator too because everyone realized they had to
squash forward so we could get off. There's a f*cking challenge at every
turn here now.

Then we were out on the street and the "dust" cloud was like fog. There
were barricades everywhere and we, hundreds of us, ended up walking way
down by Battery Park (last time I was there was for a wonderful free
July 4th concert by Amy Correira and Emmylou Harris; now it's a National
Guard encampment), and walking around buildings until finally there were
no more barricades and we could go where we needed to go. There were
camera crews all over, and all I could think of was get out of my face.

At the building I work in there was a line in the lobby. For the first
time ever people had their bags searched and IDs looked at instead of
just passing them over the turnstiles. There have always been security
men with bomb-sniffing dogs walking around outside the building, 24
hours a day, probably because of the lessons learned from the 1993
terrorist attack on the WTC. There were more of them today, and now bags
were being searched. I wondered what they were looking for. Anyway, I
finally got in, got to my desk, was glad again to see everyone there,
was able to concentrate on what I was doing more than I had been the day
before. All day there was a Coast Guard ship in the river. I was uneasy
seeing it and glad at the same time that it was there.

On the way home I stopped at the drugstore to get batteries for my cd
player and also got a new box of Crayola crayons, a 64 pack with
built-in sharpener!, and markers and pads of drawing paper. I have boxes
of pastels and markers and all sorts of more sophisticated drawing
materials and papers, but my 5-year old (?) self was very happy to once
again be smelling some crayons. When distressed some people drink, some
drug, others go out and beat people up, apparently I draw. (Actually
it's more of a scribbling and coloring these days; maybe some
thought-out drawings will come later; maybe not.)

So I've had three days off and stuck close to home again, only going
places I could walk to. Tomorrow, Saturday, is another work day. I can't
wait to get back home and draw some more. Maybe listen to some music
too. Maybe even be able to make sense of all the messages on the joni list.

See ya'll later,

Debra Shea