I have been researching this subject in support of a friend who is going
through the effects of this. I thought I would share some excerpts because
this subject was recently brought up. There is more information at
http://www.verbalabuse.com/

Verbal Abuse and its Devastating Impact by By Patricia Evans

Verbal Abuse is insidious.
Verbal Abuse is endemic.
Verbal Abuse impacts millions of people.
Verbal Abuse and its denial are crazy-making
Verbal Abuse usually occurs in secret.

If you've heard,
     "You're Too Sensitive"
          you've heard verbal abuse.

Although many people have heard sticks and stones may break our bones but
words will never hurt us, those who have suffered from verbal abuse know
that words do hurt and can be as damaging as physical blows are to the body.
Unfortunately, when people dont recognize verbal abuse for what it is, they
may try to get the person who is putting them down, giving them orders, or
correcting, denouncing, yelling at or ignoring them to understand them.
Or, they may try to stop them by giving it back in kind.

Since, in the majority of cases, people who indulge in verbal abuse are
selective about whom they abuse, many people are surprised to hear that
someone is experiencing on-going and periodic abuse from someone they know
and have always seen as nice and friendly. Nice and Friendly is the
persona of many an abuser. Although many folks are as nice and friendly as
they seem, some are not.