I'm forwarding this for my friend Melanie.  I know people have
discussed Joni's quirky time signatures.  Any speculations about
Turbulent Indigo?

Mark E.

forwarded question:

OK, I'm not a musical dolt or anything, but Joni has bested me for
several
years now and I'm not too proud too admit it.  Has the joni list ever
talked
about the time signature(s) in the song Turbulent Indigo?  What the
heck is
it? It shifts, or I'm imagining things. It seems like it floats
between 4/4,
sometimes 2/4, sometimes 3/4.... is it 4/4 with a 5/4 measure or two
thrown
in there every now and then to throw off our expectations?  This has
always bothered me, I've always thought one of these days I'm going to
sit
down and really pay attention and count and write it down, but... that
just
seems so... anal retentive... and yet... I would like to know....
You can observe a lot by watching. -- Yogi Berra