--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> OK, here are some symptoms of the book disease:
> On to my symptoms:
>
> - Inability to pass a bookstore without entering
> (and probably buying, though
> I'm getting better)

I used to buy a lot of books but I got so tired of
packing them every time we moved that I decided to get
rid of a lot of them.  Now I do my reading by
borrowing from the library.  If there's anything I
decide I want to read, I put a hold on it at the
library.  You can do the whole thing by internet now,
so I just think up books I want to read, go in and do
a search, then put it on hold.  Uusually, unless it's
a super-popular brand-new book, you don't have to wait
that long, and they call you when it comes in so you
can just go and pick it up, and then browse the
shelves looking for others that look good (contrary to
the saying, I think you *can* judge a book by its
cover - I've found quite a few good ones that just
about leapt off the shelf into my hands.)

I still do have a lot of books, most of which are
reference books at this point, or collections of
poetry.  There aren't a heckuva lot of novels I've
liked enough to want to read them again - at least,
not when there's so many other books to read.

I'm also a bit phobic about going into certain kinds
of stores, chief among them the big-box-type
bookstores and music stores that are so prevalent
everywhere.  Most of the time, if I go into a store
like that, unless I've really psyched myself up for
it, I end up feeling kind of dizzy and disoriented and
I have to leave - unless I absolutely know the exact
thing I want and can find someone right away so I can
ask them to help me find it.

There is a good book store close to where I live that,
despite being quite small, has a surprising number and
variety of books and will search for and order books
for you that you want.  My sister owns a bookstore in
Port Hope, Ontario, where she and her husband live, so
I guess I'd be ordering from her to give her the
business!  (If you're ever in Port Hope, drop by the
Furby House bookstore - not named after those weird
mechanical animals that were all the rage a few
Christmases ago - it was already called this when they
bought it from the guy that started it and it may have
been his ex-wife's maiden name.)  Tell Susan (my
sister) that you know me from the jmdl - and she'll
look at you like you're nuts, because she won't have a
clue what the jmdl is, but she is a very nice person,
even if she is my sister ;)

On the other hand, I will never pass up the
opportunity to acquire a new CD, or two, or three -
I'm beginning to wonder if it's a bit of an
obsessive-compulsive thing, because sometimes I buy so
many that I don't think I have enough time to listen
to them all!  Especially when my darn kids don't like
*my* music.  My daughter would listen to Jennifer
Lopez all day if she could.  Fine enough, but there
are other kinds of music out there (even if I have to
force-feed it to them!)

The way I get around the big-box-phobia thing is
either by buying online, or picking a day when I feel
confident enough to walk into one of those things
(breathing deeply and slowly before going in) and then
just doing it - then the next time, it's not as bad,
and so on, so I can do it if I have to.  But then I'm
often disappointed at the limited selection you find
in HMV and so on - it's like all they sell is the top
50 stuff, and here in Canada, with our population only
one-tenth of the US's, you're not as likely to find
the stuff that isn't really popular - sometimes you
can find "Best hits" types but if you're trying to
replace all your old vinyl stuff from the 60s and 70s,
you're lucky to find them.

As far as children's books go, as a kid I loved the
Enid Blyton ones called "The [Whatever} of Adventure."
 There was the Sea of Adventure, The Valley of
Adventure and so on.

I liked Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows as a
kid but recently, when i went back to read them, I was
a bit disappointed - they're all so darn guy-centred,
like some snooty English boarding-school disguised as
the woods or the meadow.  I read once that A.A. Milne
originally had all his characters in the Pooh books -
including Kanga - be male... until someone reminded
him that in order for a kangaroo to have a baby roo in
her pocket, he would have to be a she.

Did anyone ever read any of the books of E. Nesbitt?
She was an Edwardian writer - one of the ones I loved
that she wrote was "[number of ...5?] Children and It"
about these kids that found this creature called a
sand fairy in a pit - it caused them all sorts of
problems and I don't remember much else about it, but
I did love it.

Someone mentioned the Eloise books - I loved those
too.  I wanted to live in a hotel like Eloise and get
into all the trouble she used to - and the
illustrations are priceless.

I also enjoyed "The Princess and the Goblin" by Mc or
Macdonald.  Also anything about King Arthur and the
Knights of the Round Table, or anything about witches
or magic.

There's nothing like a good kid's book - if it's
really good, adults will enjoy them as much as, if not
more than (or on a different level from) kids, as the
Harry Potter phenomenon proves.  I've read all the
Harry Potters and can't wait for the movie... and the
next book!  Between Harry Potter and the Lord of the
Rings coming out around the same time, well, I haven't
been this excited about movies for a long time - let's
just hope they live up to the hype.  The trailers look
good, but with a lot of films, the trailer shows you
the best stuff!  I don't think we'll be disappointed
with these two though.