From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 1:38 PM
Subject: For Love or Money, All I Want

> <<Or is it because it's stuck in the end of a double live album that not
that many people will have had or
> heard... >>
>
> I think it's just forgotten about, Jamie, because she never recorded a
studio version of it. Jericho would have suffered the same fate had she not
brought it out for DJRD, it just seems so more fleshed out in its studio
version.

> I think For Love or Money is a great song! My favorite lyrical passage:
>
> The wars of pride and property
> The rebel Irish and the promised land Jew
> Fighting behind his eyes and over seas
> Wounded in action and no ceasefire in view
>
> The song seems to be a bit of twist on her usual "failed relationship"
song in that it's from the guy's POV and he can't get over the girl. I
wounder if she was projecting any of her old lovers onto the lead character?
She does reference that the guy is a songwriter, or at least a poet:

> He's got stacks and stacks of words that rhyme
> Describing what it is to lose
> He's got some just for laughs
> He's got some for love
> That mainline to his blues
>
> Could the "mainline" be a play on words referencing "Cold Blue Steel &
Sweet Fire", that is, a heroin addiction?

> <<has anyone else heard the original (well, the first draft) of All I
Want?>>

> Yes, Jamie, but it's from her 1970 BBC "Pink Dress" concert. As yet is
hasn't been included as part of the video trees. There are quite a few
lyrical differences between this version and what would finally show on
"Blue". If anyone is interested, I can transcribe them tonight.