>Steve:  not sure if I dare ask, but what are the Biggles books?  You
>and Hell both seem to  have heard of them;  I, who grew up in the
>U.S., never have.  Are they maybe a UK/NZ kind of thing?

Yes, very much a Brit and British Commonwealth thing. Capt. W. E. Johns
was a WW1 pilot who started writing short stories for magazines in the
'30s, based on his experiences, but featuring a character called
Biggles. He later started writing full-length books, taking Biggles
and his comrades through the '30s, WW2, and into the '50s and '60s.

Some of the earlier books contain some ethnic, racial and national
stereotyping very common in the world of their day, causing some to
be banned from libraries, etc. in recent years.

Trivia - I just watched the great NZ movie Heavenly Creatures again,
which features Kate Winslett and her friend reading Biggles books
and "flying" through the garden.
Steve Dulson        Costa Mesa CA       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The Tinker's Own"                      http://www.tinkersown.com
"The Living Tradition Concert Series"   http://www.thelivingtradition.org/