Kate - so pleased to hear the tribute went well -
how I would have loved to be there.

You asked:
> can someone remind me of how to sign up for the guitar discussion list?
> thanks.

Go to http://www.jmdl.com/wanderer/

to join send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with a message in
the 'body' of your e-mail saying    subscribe wanderer

Sue is currently still researching "links, news items, possibly
sound files and other cool stuff about alternately tuning your
guitar"  - so any good online resources would be welcomed,
I'm sure.

Here's one I've just found that I'm planning to look around today.
Tom Loredo's "Acoustic Guitarists' Annotated Guide to the Internet"
http://www.museweb.com/ag/

His 'Alternate Tuning Guide for Contemporary Folk Music' is at
http://www.museweb.com/ag/technique.html#tunings
and includes tunings for songs by the likes of Bob Bennett (any
relation, Kate?), Edie Brickell , Jonatha Brooke/The Story, Wendy
Bucklew, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shawn Colvin, Billy Crockett,
Ani DiFranco, Kat Eggleston, Bob Franke, Greg Greenway (met
Greg at the Folk Alliance in Vancouver - what a nice guy!!), Nanci
Griffith, Richie Havens, Michael Hedges, Indigo Girls, Phil Keaggy,
Patty Larkin, Mary McCaslin, Billy McLaughlin, Michael McNevin
Joni Mitchell (see below), Carrie Newcomer, Ellis Paul, Pierce
Pettis, Willy Porter, Chuck Pyle, Dana Robinson, Lynne Saner
Martin Sexton, Martin Simpson, Troll For Trout, David Wilcox,
Brooks Williams, and Dar Williams

Tom Loredo's comments on Joni Mitchell are at:
http://www.museweb.com/ag/tunings/fm_tunings.html#JM
describing http://www.jmdl.com/guitar/ as "An amazingly
well-organized and comprehensive collection of Joni tunings
and guitar chords and tab" and suggesting a few other net
resources (which he describes as probably less accessible
than the above).

all the best

PaulC