Kate,

This may be some good news - I have one friend, not below the poverty line,
but without health insurance who just had a brain tumor removed by the top
surgeon at Cedars Sinai (top hospital) and was put in a gorgeous suite and
Medi-Cal paid for all of it without a hitch.  I have another friend also not
below the poverty line but without insurance, who needs some serious
complicated surgery done and Medi-Cal is paying for him to have the top
surgeon from USC perform the surgery.  I had to use Medi-Cal about 25 years
ago when I had a job but didn't have insurance and there was no red tape at
all and no restrictions on who I went to.  Kakki