Deb Messling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>As for Shadows & Light, I would not call it "definitive."

Whilst I appreciate that the word 'definitive' is subjective,
Karen's bio, IMO, seems to fit one of my dictionary
(Collins) definitions - ie "Most reliable or authoritative".

Whatever, for me, one of the most pleasing things about
the success of this publication is that it appears to be
redefining Joni's significance, in the UK media, at least.
It had been my impression that for too long she had
become the generic butt for snide journalists wanting to
show off their anti-hippy-dippy-confessional-singer-
songwriter credentials - a most irritating stereotype that
she just doesn't deserve.

I was pleased to find, just yesterday - reading a review
of 'Shadows & Light' in UK music/movie magazine
'Uncut' (in the Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street - which,
incidentally, was heaving with thousands of people who
had come to see a lunchtime acoustic performance by
Dave Matthews) that the final sentence of the review read:
"It remains a mystery why shelves are not heaving
with more books about one of the most dazzling
songwriters of the last 30 years."

all the very best

PaulC

PS I had no problem ordering a copy online from
Helter Skelter last weekend for a US list friend  -
received an e-mail confirmation of the order on
Monday and hopefully it should take a maximum
of 2 weeks to arrive in the States.