<< Specifically, do you think LOTC & Blue sound like they were from
 the same sessions? Or Blue & FTR, or FTR & C&S, or C&S & THOSL, or THOSL &
 Hejira?
 These all sound completely different to me...>>

Funny you should ask, because as I was listening to the Laura I was wondering
what two Joni records sounded as similar to one another.

Although STAS & Clouds are basically her with her guitar, the songs on STAS
seem to be much more dense. Pirate of Penance, like almost all of that
record, would sound out of place on Clouds. Of the others you mention there
are certainly overlaps...Willy and Rainy Night House and For Free would sound
right at home on Blue, I think. Carey and This Flight Tonight would fit on
FTR, Barangrill and See You Sometime and Ludwig would blend in unnoticed on
C&S. And so on. While there are stylistic differences from album to album,
there are bridges from one to the next, at least until you go from Mingus to
WTRF (just considering studio albums).

<< As different as daylight and dark to my ears. >>

Your EARS can sense daylight & dark? No wonder you hear things I can't! LOL!

 << I think with Laura Nyro you either totally grasp the incomparable
brilliance
 of it all, or else you're simply, merely impressed.  >>

So I s'pose I fall into the latter category. I appreciate the additional
detail, Billy...and I'll keep listening.

Bob

NP: Glenn Tillbrook, "Interviewing Randy Newman"