Hi Everyone, I'm new to the jmdl. Had to respond to the J. Armatrading
discussion. I was an admirer back when too, early 80's? when I saw her with a
band that was fabulous and stopped on a dime! I was on my way home from work
here in SF and saw that she and her small band was performing in a very small
venue in about an hour. I got off the streetcar and bought a ticket, excited
at seeing her after so many years. She looks the same and sounds the same,
literally. She played no new music, and rushed through each piece like she
couldn't wait to pick up the pay and get out of there. No rapport, nothing
genuine as I saw it. I was roundly disappointed. When this happens it makes me
appreciate Joni more than ever, for staying creative and fresh, no matter what
everyone wants to hear. Perhaps someone has had a different experience, and I
hope Joan A. still writes and is staying creative.