As a long time Armatrading fan, I thought that I would respond to this topic
as well.  I've seen Joan about 8 or 9 times in concert, and except for the
last time at the House of Blues in Chicago, they were all incredible.  The
HOB was especially disappointing after seeing her the time before that at the
Vic.  This was one great show, including a string quartet which she brought
out for about half the set.  This show was riveting from beginning to end.
However, the HOB show bordered on the boring.  She definitely looked like she
was there to collect a pay check.  I don't know what happened to her - is she
finally so turned off by her lack of success that she's stopped caring?  I
really don't know, but I hope it is only a temporary situation.  When she is
on, she is one of the best.  And while her later albums might be a little
spotty, she still is capable of putting out some incredible stuff - Merchant
of Love comes immediately to mind.

I must admit that after the HOB show, I would be reluctant to go see her
again, especially after reading similar comments, but based upon the number
of times she blew me away, I'm sure I would break down and see her again,
hoping she was just having a bad time on that tour.

Jack