Mike Pritchard in Barcelona wrote:

"Some years ago when I was searching around for a topic for my Ph. D. I
considered doing Joni Mitchell's songs. My idea was not greeted with any
enthusiasm by anyone in the faculty, nor any other academic I spoke to.
Because there is an Anglo-Canadian link in the faculty here in the University
of Barcelona I decided to see if anyone in Canadian universities would be
more
helpful. I only got one response (from a great JM fan) and this was luke-warm
to say the least. It was suggested that the songs alone were not sufficient
as
a base for a Ph. D. but perhaps something more 'sociological' would be
possible. In the end I chose a different subject but my heart is not really
into it and I am thinking of getting back to my original idea."

Hi, Mike.  I don't want to discourage you, but I've got to tell you that this
sort of reaction is one reason why I finally said my good-byes to the field of
literature (I was a graduate student in English and American lit. for 3 years
before hanging it up and heading to law school).  There is such a division
between "high art" and "low art," and never the twain shall meet, it seems.

One clarifying moment for me came when I was preparing for a graduate seminar
in 20th-century American lit. one afternoon in my apartment, and I realized
that the tape I had on for background music, Bruce Springsteen's _Nebraska_,
captured the themes and ideas of the course in a far more memorable and
artistically valid way than did any work I was reading for it.  I packed up my
bags not long after that.

I may not be doing anything approaching "high art" now, but:  1) I have
absolutely no pretensions that I am doing so, and 2) I am making a living!

Back to you:  maybe "shorter, academic work" is the answer, as might be a
shorter work completely outside the auspices of your program that you might
shop around to independent magazines outside the strict confines of academia.
The latter would put more onus on you, because it would obviously require you
to take time away from your program.  On the other hand, you could utilize the
skills your program is teaching you to do something you love.

A third option would be plugging Joni's songs into some larger sociological or
other theory of what was going on in the times, perhaps alongside the work of
other songwriters or popular artists of that era.  This was hinted at by the
Canadian academic you contacted.  However, for those who love Joni's lyrics
simply for what they are, rather than as part of some schema into which they
may fit only imperfectly, this option might be less satisfying than just
leaving the lyrics alone.

In all, please keep us posted on what you decide.  And best of luck!  Being a
good Catholic dissenter, I certainly respect all those who stay within a
difficult system to try to change it.  <g>

Take care,

Mary P. in Madison, WI, USA

P.S.  Mike, you might have mentioned it already, but what field will your Ph.D
be in?