Last night Nikki, Brian and I went to see Gregg Cagno perform at The Mine
Street Coffeehouse in New Brunswick, NJ. Mine Street is one of New Jersey's
oldest running acoustic music venues that is housed in the basement of the
First Reformed Church. Funny how I never knew about it before. I'm just now
rediscovering New Brunswick and all of the performing arts it has to offer.
Joan Baez is performing at the State Theater there this month. The gig was
purely acoustical, no mics. Some of you have had the pleasure of meeting
Gregg this year at JoniFest2001. I know Paul met Gregg on the Folktrain to
Saskatoon. Thanks for pointing him our way Paul ;~) Such an incredible
talent.This was my first real folk gig that I've ever attended. What a sweet
room. The walls were made of beautiful colored stone and brick. A very old
historical church. I was delighted with it's intimate charm.  I got to
daydreaming about how Joni and other folkies had begun playing in coffeehouse
venues like this one. I am simply enthralled by the stories we've gotten from
Pat Henry Bolland (and a few others that please forgive me I can't remember
your names) of those good old coffeehouse daze.  Thanks for introducing me to
the world of Newbieland Gregg!
Gregg opened his set with George Harrison's "Here Comes The Sun" He also did
a wonderful rendition of "River" that was dedicated to Brie by Mags, as well
as "All I Want" soon to be followed by my own personal request "Close Your
Eyes" and "Sweet Baby James" by JT. Gregg also played a few country tunes and
was accompanied by vocals by the lovely Maggie Anderson. It was a real
pleasure meeting you Maggie!
The gig was soon over and we left the church only to discover that Gregg had
a flat tire (aaarrrggghhh) We hung out and watched Gregg change his tire,
singing while he did it.
Perhaps we can persuade Gregg to join the wanderer guitar list Sue, as he
invents a lot of alternate tunings.
Afterwards, Brian headed out home and Nikki came over and sang played songs
for me till the wee hours of the morning. I'm a newbie guitarist and Nikki
was helping me with Mr. Tambourine Man. Thanks Nikki! :~) I almost have it
LOL. I lack so much dexterity in the left hand as the result of a
neuro-cervical condition. As much as I love it, guitar playing presents even
more of a challenge for me. That's all she wrote folks. It was so much fun
guys, we'll have to do it again real soon.

rose in NJ