rsc1 wrote:

> Mr. Bernstein told me once that he was begining to work on it
> (personally, I'm hoping for tapes of her appearance at the 1980
> Bread & Roses show in Berkeley. That version of "The Thrill
> Is Gone" with B.B. King! Does anyone have an audience tape of this?
> It levelled me...)

Hmmm....I didn't think that performance was good....visually it
was cool to see them together, but Mr. King played a loud guitar
lick every time Joni opened her mouth to sing...almost seemed like
sabotage...King and band totally screwed up Coyote, too, they
didn't know the tune and blew all the chord changes....
But to answer your question, a tape of this show has not, to
my knowledge, surfaced.  One lister a year or two ago got in
touch with the B&R organization, and they said they would try
to find a tape, but nothing ever came of it.  Better than the
King collaboration would be Joni's solo set with previews of
songs from WTRF, and a dynamite version of "Sweet Sucker
Dance" with Herbie Hancock on grand piano. Hopefully this
material will surface at some point.  Ann & Nancy Wilson's
set (with Joan Baez on "Love Alive") from the '81 show has
been traded for some time. It's hard to believe Joni's performance
wasn't recorded, but she can be very protective of her stuff,
maybe she pocketed the only tape!
RR