Thanks to all for the interesting exchange about "The Wolf That Lives In
Lindsay" from the "Bread And Roses Festival" at the Greek Theatre in
Berkeley, California on September 4, 1978.  I drug it out (dragged it out?)
of my CD-R collection and really, really enjoyed it.  Especially "The Wolf
That Lives In Lindsay".  It's one of those times when her story telling /
singing / songwriting skills and her mystical beliefs really come together
and show why we love her so much.  During "Lindsay", she even stops to tune
but it doesn't matter because she starts doing a wolf "howwwwwl".  She never
loses the audience.

I really value this 'place', this JMDL.  Especially now that it looks like
I'm gonna have to lose touch again, (working >50 hours a week again) to keep
things together.

Anyway, thank you, friends.

Turning now to Marian's discussion of playing, and being in the "zone".  You
said,
>>I felt that what came out during most of that song was better than
anything
that had ever before happened to me during a performance or practicing.  The
perception of the result is an individual experience, though - two different
people might have two different perceptions, and musical taste is so
individual that one person might not like the result at all, while the other
person would think it was nice.  I felt good about Wolf that time, but other
people might not have liked it, or maybe they don't like the way I sing.>>>

Now me.  Music is very mutable and evanescant that way.  I remember, Marian,
when you were playing "Overture" in Ashara's living room.  I apologize for
re-telling this story but I must:

We didn't know each other at all at that point.  I'm a bit of a hermit,
lacking in normal graces sometimes, and prone to getting overly excited.
Anyway, I had never heard anyone even *attempt* "Overture" but when you
started it, I was just shocked.  It knocked the wind out of me.  It was
perfect and yet, you had such a physical grace about playing it, that it
seemed as though you wrote it.  (Okay, now I'm gonna sound like a real idiot
but I don't care:  You transported me to the logic of it.  The rightness of
the composition.)

When I got my wind back, I giggled and shook my head.  On the inside, I was
stunned and amazed.  What you percieved was that I was snickering at you.  I
don't know how I can ever make that up to you because it was a TOTAL
miscommunication.  I love your playing and I guess I need to say that until
I don't feel guilty anymore.  I'm so sorry.  Marian, you have *it*.  Thank
you.

I hope this isn't too personal for the List.

Jim