hi sybil

        >>memories of shimmering hot summer days running barefoot with my cousins, the
heavenly cool of the small movie theater in Gladewater, pop. 4000, drinking
bottled Cokes with a bag of peanuts poured in.<<

michelle shcked was brought up with mormon parents in gilmer. she did a couple of
songs about the area, the previously mentioned "memories of east texas" (one of my all
time favourite songs), "making the run to gladewater" - about people making the trip
to gladewater to buy beer - gilmer was a mormon town, and was therefore a "dry", "the
vfd" - a song about the volunteer fire department, and "yamboree queen" which was a
reference to the "yam" festival apparently held in those areas.

the first 3 songs are on "short sharp shocked" which included her biggest hit
"anchorage". the yamboree queen track has never been officially released, but is
available on a number of bootlegs.

also - would you mind if i re-posted your message on the michelle shocked mailing list
- im sure some of the folks would find the background interesting.

thanks

ron