This wasn't from a Bentley Little book per chance?  I'm reading "The
Association" and found this:

(the main character just found a mutilated, dead cat in his mailbox.. so he
is a tad upset)

p.66
"......He sorted through his vinyl and put on an old Joni Mitchell record,
staring out at the view.  There was something about those folkies of the
late sixties/early seventies that complemented nature, that understood the
rural lifestyle.  There was a wistfulness in the music as well, a tinge of
melancholy that somehow bridged the hopes of that era with the reality of
today and subtly pointed out the disparity.

This was music that spoke to him.

(get ready for the slam, folks)

Of course,Joni Mitchell herself was no longer the Joni Mitchell of those
early albums.  The last time he'd seen her,on VH1 on one of those charity
concerts,she'd been droning on in a cigarette-ravaged voice,stopping in
midsong to lecture the crowd for not paying close enough attention to her
lyrics.` She'd seemed angry and bitter,a far cry from the open,giggly young
woman captured on the live MILES OF AISLES,and it had been depressing and
dispiriting to realize how much times and people changed.

With the music on,his creative energy returned........

What has this guy been smoking?  I realize it is only fiction.....but he
should at least get his facts straight.  And did you notice it's VINYL not
cd's because it's cooler to say vinyl.  IMO, this guy is a mediocre writer
at best.  But he does sell a lot of books??  (my sister loaned me this book,
I didn't buy it)

I guess he didn't hear the 2000:BOth Sides Now.......her voice is
exquisite!!!

NP:You've changed.............you are not the angel I once knew

Bree