<<I know that we can all guess what "that serpent" is, although Joni would probably
deny it, as she did with "boom boom pachyderm." But what is an
Ethiopian wall, aside from a wall in Ethiopia? Is this a reference to poetry or
literature that I'm not getting? >>

I don't think it's necessarily a phallic reference, Bob, although it certainly can be
interpreted that way. She makes reference in the song to the story of Adam & Eve:

"Wash my guilt of Eden
Wash and balance me"
(this couplet follows her mention of the serpent)

as well as other neo-religious references throughout. So the "serpent" can also be
interpreted as the serpent in the Adam and Eve story; that is, the man is "pinning her
with the serpent" or blaming women for the temptation and fall of man.

The "Ethiopian Wall"...from what I understand, it's believed that the origins of man,
at least the earliest cultures, were developed in this area, so I think it could be
interpreted as saying that the man is forcing her to return to the (presumed) Biblical
origins of man and rubbing THAT in her face too, much the same with the moon reference.

What a great song...probably her most cryptic.

Bob

NP: Collective Soul, "Where The River Flows"