rsc1 wrote:

> Hi Randy -
>
> I haven't had any time to check in in the last 2 weeks,
> and just read yr reply to my missive re: the Joni/B.B.
> set. Personally, I thought the version of "Coyote" was
> great... I've never heard King play guitar the way he did
> on that tune. It was all stacatto picking, little fills and
> accents. Not at all the way he normally plays. It was obviously
> a challenge for him. True, the rhythm section may not have had
> the song down, but I didn't think they botched it. And Joni was
> playing guitar, handling all the chord changes. B.B. only played
> lead, as always (I don't think he ever plays chords!).

When the bass player and rhythm guitarist are playing the wrong
thing at the wrong time and don't have a clue how the song goes,
it is botched.  I have had this unfortunate experience a couple of
times, and it is sheer hell.
What you call Kings staccatto notes and different approach to
playing, I call fumbling.

> The version of "The Thrill Is Gone" was fascinating, and exciting,
> because Joni was visibly nervous about singing his standard.
> B.B. sang the first verse, and then was pushing her forward to sing
> the next, but she kept backing away, shaking her head. When she
> finally did, the lyrics were completely different.
> "the thrill is gone... you left me, and I hope you - die!"
> sung with a bitter intensity. Seemed like she meant it, and indeed
> I believe that she and Don Alias had just broken up, so it may have
> been directed to him. A friend who was backstage said that she was
> huddled with B.B. prior to his set, writing out the lyrics.
> She told him that she was indeed nervous, and just hoped to get
> through the tunes!

I stand by my assessment; that King either sang over Joni or
played a guitar lick every time she opened her mouth.

> B.B. then said that they had to leave as they had a gig in Reno that evening,
> so they left and Joni stayed on. She played the wireless Stratocaster that
> Neil Young had played the previous night (w/ the Hawks & Doves band -
> their sole live performance),

The International Harvesters, and they were marvelous. I am not at
all sure this was their only public performance-maybe a hardcore
Neilhead would know.

> and did 2 new songs... "Man to Man" and
> an amazing version of "Dream Flat Tires". They were both raw, and sensual
> and unlike the renditions that finally appeared on "Wild Things Run Fast".
> Then she was off, leaving me in a puddle under my seat.
> After a set by Tom Paxton, and part of another unremembered performer, I
> turned to my companion and said "Let's go. We're not going to see anything
> else that's even going to come close to being as good as Joni's set."
> And we left.
>
> The tune she did with Herbie was from the '79 Bread & Roses show, which
> I wasn't fortunate to witness.

Well, you left before Joni and Herbie did "Sweet Sucker Dance", at
the '80 show, which was absolutely devistating, better than the studio
version by miles.  I don't remember when this was, it may have
even been the next day.  It was a 'tweener', a wonderful surprise.
I was not at the '79 show, unfortunately.
I still think that if tapes of Joni's '80 B&R show surface, they
will bear out my claims. I mean, I was appalled at the time (with the
King/Joni set), and I worshipped Joni at the time.  I felt she was
badly treated, musically.  As I said, the rest of King's set was quite
nice, nothing against him, but they should've learned the one dang
tune, what is it, like 4 chords?
Thanks for your reply,
RR