Jim Lama wrote, in answer to my question on Earthshine:

<<Yes, we can only see the shadow side of the moon because of reflected Earth

light.  Since there's virtually no atmosphere on the moon, there's no

scattering of light (even just after sunset.)  It's just inky black there

and very cold.  The Apollo astronauts had some very very duty life support

inside those suits because the temperature gradient between the light side

of the body and the shadow side was (is) fierce.

Not that any of this matters.

Lama>>

Thanks, Jim, for the confirmation...  Then he quoted Carl Sagan:

<<As Dr. Sagan might have said,

"The moon.....

 is a *place*.">>

you forgot:  ..."with millions and millions of craters"...

:-)  walt