In a message dated 12/20/01 8:51:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, SCJoniGuy
writes:

> I think it was '63, Rose. But what I want to know is what is the
> significance of "Bell Jar"?...it looks like it's a big glass beaker of some
> kind.
>
> Joni of course uses "Bell Jar" in Ludwig's Song. (Judgement of the Moon &
> Stars)
>
> Just wondering if anybody can shed any light on the significance of the
> term.

I stand corrected, you're right Bob. It was 1963. I have my facts confused.
She wrote the book in 1961.
Back to the significance of "Bell Jar." Perhaps it means being in sort of a
vacuum. Beethoven lost his hearing. Or perhaps a state of depression,
confinement, mental institutions, the apparatus they use in electroshock
therapy. I'm just guessing here, throwing out some thoughts. I use to think
she was referring to Church Bells.

~rose

NP: Shadows & Light