>Quite the opposite, Bree.  Audiophiles, true audiophiles, don't like tone
>>controls.  In fact some very, very, hyper-expensive gear lacks tone
>>controls
>>completely.  The best setups have so much detail that the room is not in
>>the
>>way, so there's no compensation needed.

Would it be true that an audiophile would believe in using an equalizer
would be akin to changing the colors of an artist painting or re-editing a
directors film?  But,in addition to altering the E.Q. to suit ones
preference,it could be argued that EQ is  used/manipulated in order to
compensate for deficiencies in a given stereo system or in order to "tune"
the room.  I would guess for the flattest response possible i.e. pink noise?
  (I have heard this term quite a bit and am still confused about the
difference between pink and white noise)

Bree