On 08 January 2002 13:37, [EMAIL PROTECTED] [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> Kammy asking: is it possible to play the guitar with only
> a book and a discussion list?

Well, and the JMDL guitar site and your CD player!  Joni's music is really
fun to learn to play because it's relatively easy and sounds a whole lot
better than stuff in standard tuning.  Probably the trickiest part for a
beginner would be getting into an open tuning.  Read Howard's thing on
Tuning Notation and then try to tune to one of the tunings that has a lot of
songs - like the open D tuning (Both Sides Now, Night In The City, You Turn
Me On I'm A Radio, etc.) - and print out some of the transcriptions for
those songs and just jump in and try to do some of the chord shapes for
those songs.  You will be surprised, I think, at how much you are able to do
right away if you have the tuning right.  I always approach learning a song
by listening to the recording, too - that's why you need your CD player, so
that if you have questions about how something goes, you can listen over and
over and fool around with different possibilities until you get what sounds
right.  Both Sides Now is an especially easy song to start with.

Marian
Vienna