>  It seems as a society we are unaware of the plight of
> those in severe trauma, or afraid to try to help when we become aware, or give
> up trying to help when it seems that the person has a 'death wish' and is
> 'beyond help'. Is anyone ever really 'beyond help'? I stress 'as a society' as
> I am aware that family and friends do their best to help their loved ones
> through these difficult times.

It is good to read something so naive ! Not meaning to offend you at all Mike,
when I read this, my first thought was 'how good of him to think like that'.
Unfortuantely it could not be further from the truth.
Firstly society generally doesn't care. It is alos too sacred of anything
different. There is still a HUGE stigma attached to mental illness and people do
not wnat to get involved. Far too many families don't care, and are the root of it
anyhow, and very few friends bother to find the person. Although in my experience,
friends have been the best.
There is too little healthcare available for mental health difficulties. A good
sign society doesn't care. Mental health problems are inaccurately portrayed on tv
in film and in the press thus making the prejudice even worse.
Apart from that, 'mental health care professionals' also continue this prejudice
because of the way they treat their 'patients', ignoring their humanity, feelings
and thoughts, and just labelling us and drugging us and treating us as non humans.
The basis of much psychiatry is that our thoughts and feelings don't count, just
the shrinks opinion of our disorder.
Much has been wriiten on this and evry well by Dr Dorothy Rowe, a renowned
clinicla psycholgist.

To answer your question about whetehr some people are beyond help, thew ansswer is
yes. psychopaths. Briefly, because their first experinces in life, ie as babies,
did not allow them to form connections with others and thus they were not able to
distinguish a person from an object thus they grow up seeing evrything outside of
themselves as an object. (objects have no feelings so you can do what you like to
them). As yet, nothing has been found to overcome this.
bw
colin