On 10 January 2002 14:48, Laurent Olszer [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> Marian wrote:
>
> > It is even possible  (but would be very difficult for the average
guitarist)
> > to play Joni's songs
> > > with her chords (not the chord shapes, but the tones of her chords)
from
> > > standard tuning -

> My 2 cents: when I first got the Hejira songbook I was a beginning
> guitarist.  The songbook is all in standard tuning.  By following the
> songbook I had no problem (even as a beginner) in playing Strange
> Boy, Blue Motel Room, Amelia.

I have that songbook.  I'll take a look at those songs and try out the
chords they suggest, but I think I will be surprised if the chord shapes
they give really sound like Joni's sounds.  I think it is difficult for an
average guitarist to get Joni's sounds from standard tuning.

> Some songs simply cannot be played in standard tuning, such as
> Black Crow.

Probably the same is true for most of the early songs, too.

The point I was trying to make is that I heard Gerald Gradwohl, an Austrian
guitarist, play a set of Joni's songs on a guitar tuned to standard, and it
sounded just like Joni's guitar - he managed to reproduce all the tones.  He
is, however, a very accomplished guitarist.  After the show, I told him
about the JMDL guitar site, and he later said he wished he had known about
it before he started working on the tribute project, because it would have
been a whole lot easier to play Joni's songs using her tunings and chord
shapes.

> Does anybody PLEASE have the tuning (+ chords?) for the song: Dog Eat Dog?

Dog Eat Dog is one of Joni's piano songs, so to play it on guitar, you could
go with standard tuning.

Marian
Vienna