I can understand Joni's attraction to both these brilliant musicians, Jimi
and Jaco, who both stormed the scene, blowing everyone's mind, revolutionized
their respective instruments and music itself forever, and burned brightly
much too briefly.

Jaco quoted Jimi's "Third Stone From the Sun" in just about every extended
solo he played. I am convinced that if they were both alive today, they would
be collaborating for sure.

By the way, Jimi is a cornerstone of two other legendary musical meetings
that I've always drooled over: one with Jefferson Airplane, and one with
Miles Davis. In the case of the latter, a studio date was scheduled, but
Miles bailed for some reason.

-Fred