>I don't know this author but the statement made me wonder if her celebrity
>status & financial success is what has contributed to her not being
>respected in academic circles where there can be tremendous ego trips going
>on...
>
> >>And though she certainly is not terribly respected in most academic
>circles, she has
>developed quite the lucrative celebrity intellectual career.  I guarantee
>she makes much more money than most in feminist/LGBT movements or the ivory
>tower, with large speaking fees, etc.<<

I think the reason she has been dismissed by academia as a light-weight is
pure and simple:She dared to stray from their stringent party-line.
Granted,she delivers with humour and she doesn't take herself so serious.
She was on the dais several years ago with Molly,Gloria..Kate Michelson
(sp) and they pretty much ignored her and she has been ostracized ever
since.  Quoting Paglia:"Let the cat fights begin!"  Meow.....  (I think what
really got her on the "outs" was her pointing out the hypocrisy of some of
the leadership in the movement concerning their stances during the Clinton
era) (sticking by Clinton,no matter what..... because he is so radically
pro-abortion)

Bree