Kate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about Don Freed on CBC

Thanks for posting this  - I loved reading about his project
in an article on the jmdl some time ago -
http://www.jmdl.com/articles/docs/001101tgam.cfm
good to see this coming to fruition.

The dulcimer player Rick Scott, who I met in Vancouver
last year (who told the hitchhiking story of being picked
up by Joni), still does a lot of kids shows way up in the
remote Northern territories every year - he sent me an
interview he did some time ago with Joseph Roberts in
The Common Ground magazine - here's an extract:

> Rick Scott:  "I also have an incredibly clear recollection
> of my feelings when I was a kid.   I know  that children
> feel those things too.

> Joseph Roberts:  Even the fourteen year olds that are
> walking around....

> RS: Especially the fourteen year olds.  I do high school shows
> and their feelings are right out there, like a neon sign.  They walk
> into a gymnasium for my show, sometimes six hundred of them,
> and they look at me like I'm lunch.  They are going to do me,
> they are going to have some fun with this sucker, and I am able
> to turn the table around so that this person they were going to
> poke fun at, is suddenly somebody they're going to have some
> fun with, and we're creating a show together and their feelings
> have become the show.

> JR: They finally have something to do with their energy.

> RS: I was in Hartley Bay in May, an hour and a half by bush plane
> out of Rupert, the most remote school in the entire universe.  I'm
> supposed to do an evening performance, but it's cancelled,
> because the elders are having a sing-along.  So the next day
> I'm playing in the foyer of the school and there's seventy kids,
> plus a bunch of grown-ups, and one was the elder of the village,
> the minister of the church, a native man in his late eighties.
> I opened with a song called "You're Here", which is basically a
> "hi, you're here, and I'm really glad you're here, you might have
> come from anywhere, but you're here now, and I'm so glad you
> are."  After the show I'm messing with the kids, and this elder
> comes up and takes my hand in both his hands and says "You
> taught me something, minister to minister."  He says you taught
> me how important it is for your congregation to be there with you,
> and how much you appreciate them coming.  And I'm just
> flabbergasted by this minister telling me that suddenly I've
> hooked into what he's trying to do on a spiritual level.  I'm just
> up there playing the music and to have an elder acknowledge
> my poetry and my song verifies it for me that this silly little
> melody actually runs deep.

> JR: A beautiful story

> RS: The kids up there are great, you know. They have a natural
> flow, they still have the spirit, let's do it, let's dance, let's make it
> happen, and let's honour it, and admit that it's really real...

> JR: And it's sacred, too.

> RS: It's important, and it's vital.  It's as vital as air, and the kids
> have the ability like no one else to bop into that stream and
> float down and play in it.  I remember walking by an inlet, full of
> heavy thoughts, and these native kids are diving off into the
> water, swimming around with their clothes on, and because of
> that sense of wonder that they have, they're hypothermically
> correct.  The water there is so cold, that a pilot lost his life
> recently after crashing, because he tried to swim to shore.
> But no one told the kids about hypothermia yet, so they can
> [...]
~~~~
() Joseph Roberts (from an interview in The Common Ground)
~~~~

All the best
PaulC