--- John van Tiel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> James Last - or as he was called here James Overlast
> (Dutch for noise
> pollution) - was/is a German band leader who has
> been running a very
> successful show for over 35 years here. In the 70s
> he was a downright
> phenomenon in Germany, Holland, Belgium and, I
> believe, the Scandinavian
> countries.

John, I don't think I've read anything this funny in a
long time! I remember James Last - he was kind of
popular over here for a while.  I might have heard him
the year I spent in Quebec City, where a lot of the
music you hear is European (although mostly French, of
course.)  but then again, it could have been here in
Toronto.  I certainly remember the look - esp. after
you described him to a T. And whoever mentioned the
style of the music (?) that's it too - all
instrumental with vocalists doing a lot of da-da-dah
stuff.  Exactly the kind of stuff you might expect
your parents to listen to (ha ha!) Or what you might
hear if you decided to go drinking in some oom-pa-pa
bar.

The Netherlands can be forgiven for its part in syrupy
music - they made up for it with chocolate and cheese,
and some guy named John that everyone seems to call
Uncle.

Web-hosting solutions for home and business! http://website.yahoo.ca