In a message dated 2/4/02 12:01:12 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I hope you also meant to include Mark
Domyancich. and Sue McNamara - the other two guitar heavyweights at
jmdl.com.  Without Sue (and Les Irvin, of course), the guitar database would
not even exist, and without Mark, well we would have had to wait a long time
for transcriptions of songs like Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, Black Crow,
and Blue Motel Room, to name just a few.>> (Marian)

(Walt) Yikes, of course I did [mean to include them in my thanks]-- I just
haven't "met" them on the web yet.  Thanks to all concerned!

<<(M)I can't even imagine trying to work out the piano parts from guitar
tablature!  What a novel approach!  I'm curious about your process.  Do you
sit at the piano with your guitar and the guitar transcriptions and then
work out the chords on the piano? >>

(W)Yeah, except without the guitar -- I don't have one. :-) .  I'll figure
out the chords from the tablature, sort of abbreviate the chords with my
variation on the usual chord notation, and use the actual tablature for
timing guidance.  If that makes sense.

<<(M)I have found most of the available piano music sadly lacking in critical
details and have always resorted to listening to a piece over and over (and
even then it's still sometimes hard).  I think the Anthology (the one with
the pastel-peach-colored cover) songbook has some better than average piano
transcriptions, but I think you'd still have to refer to the recordings in
most cases.  Anthology is still available from amazon.com and
barnesandnoble.com, I think.  It's cheaper there than trying to get it from
eBay.  Or try www.abebooks.com.>>

In fact, I recently got the anthology on amazon.com, and was alternately
pleasantly surprised, and bewildered at the choces made by the editor (e.g.,
like one song each from FTR and Hejira (??!!), but (yay) Jericho was
included).  It stops at WTRF (3 selections), so nothing from after '82.  But
it's got over 30 songs, so it's probably the best thing for her early stuff
readily available.  The thing that sort of puzzles me is the fact that once
someone has published an arrangement (presumably with JM's imprimatur), it
stays that way forever -- even if the arrangement has errors (it happens), or
(more subjectively) just sorta sucks.  I wonder if there's any hope that
someone will go over the early, oversimplified arrangements and "fix" them
for the two-volume "Complete" editions, or just reprint them.  If the latter,
okay -- as long as they come out *soon*! :-0

<<Regards,

Marian
Vienna

P.S. I have been home for the last three weeks recovering from flu, two
(possibly three) colds, and bad back.  I think I'm finally on the mend and
am back at work today.  If anybody has written to me privately, I'll try to
get to your message ASAP.  I haven't been keeping up with JMDL at all, so
sorry if I've missed anything. >>

I'm sick now myself, so I feel for both of us.  Hope you're completely
recovered and back on your feet soon, Marian.  And thanks again -- Walt