"Practice!! Practice!!  Open tunings are a pain in a butt....it's like a
typewriter that letters move around on you everytime you sit down to it.
BUT it does cough up original harmonic movements if you want original
harmonic movements.  And you are willing to like confuse your left hand
completely.  Then go for it!  Toodle the pegs until you like the chord then
search for the shapes with in it."

KNUCKLES RAPPED:

"melodies in my head since a young child"  Piano teacher to Joni:"WHY would
you want to play by ear when you could have the masters under your fingers?"
  "I wanted just enough chops to get these melodies out."  "Creativity I
think,generally in terms of lessons gets overlooked for tradition.  So
anything original is kind of repressed and gets mistaken....I don't
know......(trails off)

There is no doubt in my mind anyway;if Joni would not have been the free
spirit and adventurous person that she is and would have conformed and bent
under this knuckle rapper, piano teacher.. we would not have today..
HEJIRA,DJRD.......need I say more.

On the other hand:

Benny Goodman, the master jazz clarinetist  (mastered classical as
well)until the day he died continued with lessons and practiced everyday of
his life.  Something in his makeup.. he needed this.  (maybe his fear was
becoming lazy......maybe his parents drilling in his head as a child
??...."Benny you must practice..practice makes perfect!")   I think it comes
down to the individual......their proclivities.....

Bree