Joseph said:

<<I must say that this is (in my opinion anyway) the only film of Meryl where
she just dropped the accent and not bothered to go into Method-acting and
just acted how she probably acts in front of her family, children, husband -
- - that of an all-capable Superwoman of a mother. I thought it was brilliant
of Brooks to cast her as she really is.>>

Um, I thought I'd pitch in a comment -- I can't remember where i read this,
can't give a citation, but I think the part went to Meryl partly because she
and Brooks were friends, and partly because she was dying to do a part where
she *didn't have* to do the extreme acting thing -- she was seeking a light
part to show/prove she could do it.  She later did "She-Devil" with Rosesanne
to show/prove she could do broad comedy, and all six people who went out and
saw it must have loved it, cuz she not much later got one of the plum roles
in "Death Becomes Her" (in which, imho, Bruce Willis acted against type and
did a good job).

my two cents,

walt