Bob wrote:

> We do agree on the subject of royalty though, Colin. Just the thought of
it
> makes my American skin crawl and my Irish blood boil! One of my favorite
> media moments with Queen Elizabeth was when she visited Washington about a
> decade ago and an American woman was so thrilled to meet her, she gave the
> Queen a great big hug! (And no, it wasn't Ashara!) The American media
> reported that the incident had become a big issue back in England because
*no
> one* touches the Queen. I remember thinking, "Well, maybe that's true in
your
> castle, honey, but anything goes here in the good old U S of A!"

That's nothing to the furore that happened in Australia when the Prime
Minister (was it Paul Keating?) put his hand briefly on the Queen's back to
guide her - the horror!  The newspapers had a field day on that one!  But
then Australia was in a big debate about becoming a Republic at that stage,
so I think it was just another "stab in the back" as far as the Poms were
concerned (no pun intended - I don't "think" Keating was holding anything
sharp at the time).

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Royal Family.  The ones who really do
make a difference (like Princess Anne) get very little credit, and the
"stars" like Diana get the limelight.  I was watching a British documentary
tonight about something else, but one journalist interviewed made the point
that it's not difficult to devote several hours a day to charities, when
you've got a full-time staff of minions: nannies for the children, chefs,
waiters, cleaning staff, hair stylists, beauticians, secretaries, personal
assistants, etc., etc., etc.  What else are you going to do all day?!

And I agree with Colin - the Queen Mother is not as nice as she's made out
to be, it's just that she's outlived everyone that can remember anything bad
she's done!

Hell - no flames from Mother England to the "cast-offs" down in the
"colonies" please!  My ancestors were NOT convicts (at least they never got
caught)
"To have great poets, there must be
great audiences too." - Walt Whitman

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hell's Personal Photo Page:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~hell/main/personal.htm

Visit the NBLs (Natural Born Losers) at:
http://www.nbls.co.nz