In a message dated 15/02/02 08:03:55 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Subject: Was Waylon & van Ronk, now Princess Margaret with JC
>
>  Colin writes:
>
>  << As for allegedly saying 'the Irish are pigs', well we were all brought
up

>  to think that so it is hardly earthshattering even if she did say it. >>
>
>  I don't know if you're serious, kidding, exaggerating, or just being
>  provocative, Colin!
>
>  I first visited Great Britain when was a teenager in 1971, during the
height

>  of The Troubles with Northern Ireland and the IRA.  With my
quintessentially

>  Irish surname, I expected to be badly treated. That never happened. The
>  British people I met couldn't have been nicer, and that has been my
>  experience ever since. In fact, I can't remember any British person I've
> ever
>  met even bringing up the fact that I am Irish American. (Maybe they were
all

>  calling me a Harp Yank bastard behind my back, but I doubt it.)
>
>  Colin also said:
>
>  << However, don't believe everything you read in the papers! Princess
>  Margeret did not insist on being called ma'am by her friends. Nor was she
>  shallow. She did much for charity, especially she did much for the abused
>  children of this country. >>
>
>  You've got a point there, Colin, because that's a lesson I never seem to
>  learn.

I'm with Colin on this - i.e. not a royalist but:-   Our local paper carries
a story today, of when Margaret visited the local Barnado's home (for
orphans). A boy showed her a guitar he had made and she showed great interest
and picked out a tune on it. She had some talent as a musician, especially as
a pianist, and entertained many. The story I like best about her, however,
involves the Incredible String Band. According to Robin Williamson, who I am
going to see next Friday, by coincidence, the Princess spent some time with
this eccentric band and he remembers her rendition of the Monty Python song
"I've got a ferret sticking up my nose" on piano quite vividly. The Royal
Family cannot be all bad! The funeral was today and a number of well known
musicians who were friends attended.

Jacky